A solar generator is a term that refers to a device that converts solar energy from the sun into an alternating current. Most solar generators use one or more solar panels to generate direct current. The DC power is then converted to AC power using an AC power inverter.
They are also growing in popularity as backup power in the event of a power outage in homes and businesses. Solar generators can be used in a variety of applications, making them versatile products for portable power sources.
Solar generator definition:
Solar generators are a relatively new term and definitions can vary. EnergySage defines it as: “The term solar generator can technically refer to any energy system powered by the sun. However, people who use the term most often talk about portable solar units with dedicated battery systems.”
Types of Solar Generators
There are two types of solar generators: solar backup generators and portable solar generators.
A solar backup generator is permanently installed and connected to your home’s electrical panel. They automatically turn on during a power outage and provide backup power when the sun is shining.
Portable solar generators are small, self-contained units that can be easily transported and used in a variety of environments. They have built-in batteries that store solar energy when there is no sunlight.
How does a solar generator work?
A portable solar generator is a combination power station and solar panels. Power stations store energy in batteries, and solar panels collect energy from the sun and convert it into electricity. Solar generators can be used to provide power for disaster preparedness or unforeseen circumstances.
Solar generators are an increasingly popular portable power option because they provide clean and renewable energy. Solar generators can power small appliances like lights and phone chargers or larger appliances like TVs and refrigerators.
A typical solar generator has several major components. We will introduce them one by one below!
Solar panels are the heart of any solar generator. They collect sunlight and convert it into DC electricity. The amount of power available depends on the size of the panels, and the amount of sunlight available at the time. Power output may vary widely throughout the day due to weather, clouds, shadows, etc.
Because the available power from solar panels varies throughout the day, they are usually connected to a charge controller, which is responsible for drawing additional power and charging one or more batteries.
Batteries store energy, just like the fuel tank on a gasoline or diesel generator. The battery pack smoothes incoming solar energy and acts as backup power for generator-powered equipment. This allows the solar generator to continue operating in cloudy weather, or even overnight in the dark.
The battery pack can also provide a more excellent burst of power than a solar panel can provide, which is useful during surges of higher power demand. The generator will keep running as long as the solar panels get enough sunlight over time to charge the batteries.
Most solar generators offer several types of power output. Some small solar generators only provide low-voltage direct current. 12 Volt is a very common power output as it is widely used in the automotive sector and 12 Volt devices are plentiful and cheap. This output can be used for car-style phone/laptop chargers, lights, audio systems, tire penetrators, and more!
Often there is also a USB charging port available. These are most commonly used to charge phones and tablets, but they can also be used to charge any USB-powered device.
Many solar generators also provide 120 VAC power with the addition of an AC power inverter for all. The device converts DC battery power to conventional AC power, so it can also power household devices and appliances.
Advantages and disadvantages of solar generators
Solar generators have many advantages over fossil fuel generators. The largest is:
- Quiet operation – Many solar generators make no noise at all. Some units may have a cooling fan that is turned on during operation, but even this is much quieter than a traditional oil generator.
- No Emissions – Because the generator is powered by solar energy, there is no need to burn fossil fuels, so there are no CO or CO2 emissions.
- Safe to operate indoors – Another advantage of zero CO (carbon monoxide) emissions is that the unit can be operated indoors.
- Wide Range of Sizes – Solar generators can be purchased or built in a variety of sizes. This allows for extremely portable solar generators for backpacking and camping, or larger units for backup power, RVs, or even powering an entire house or off-grid cabin.
- Low Maintenance – Unlike most traditional fuel or gas generators, solar generators have absolutely no moving parts and do not use liquid fuels. No moving parts mean you are much less likely to have to pay for any kind of repair.
- Lightweight – Most heavy-duty gas generators are heavy, sometimes up to 250 lbs. In comparison, our Heavy Duty Solar Generator 2400W weighs only 45 lbs. Obviously, less powerful generators generally weigh less, but all in all, solar generators are much lighter than gas generators.
However, there are also some disadvantages. Solar generators typically cost more than conventional gas fueled generators of equivalent power output.
The gas generator can also run at full power as long as fuel is in the tank. Solar generators, on the other hand, can have a hard time maintaining enough solar energy to charge batteries for long periods of time and heavy power demands.
What Is The Best Solar Generator?
The best solar generator depends on many variables. The best solar generators for backpacking or camping will be relatively small and lightweight. These are great for charging cell phones, laptops, or other electronic power devices in remote areas without power.
The guys at ClimateCounts have also put together a list of the top solar generators if you want to check out some more specific models.
For greater power demands, you need a larger unit. A large solar generator can be used as an emergency solar backup generator, run large power tools, or even power an entire house or an off-grid cabin.
Why Choose SOUOP Solar Generator?
Reliability: SOUOP has the most reliable solar generators available for investment. With features like backup power and emergency power, you can be sure your generator will be available when you need it most.
Safety: They are designed with safety in mind. Features like a boosted inverter that can handle power surges make generators safe.
Portability: These generators are portable and easy to carry. Whether you’re tailgating, camping, or hiking, you can take your generator with you.
Ease of use: They are easy to use, even for first-time users. With clear instructions and a user-friendly interface, you’ll be able to start using your generator in no time. They also come with different accessories to make them even easier to use.
Affordability: The SOUOP generator is an excellent value for money, making it an excellent choice for those on a budget, and a worthwhile investment for home or office use.
Should you build your own DIY solar generator?
While some people prefer the convenience of buying a manufactured model, there are a number of reasons why you might consider building your own DIY solar generator.
- Cost – It is much less expensive to build a DIY solar generator using kits or your own parts. You can often save 50% or more compared to a manufactured model.
- Ease of Repair – By building your own solar generator, if a part fails, that component can be easily replaced. With manufacture models, your repair options are much more limited.
- Flexibility – You can customize the options you want when building your own solar generator. You can add USB ports, LED utility lights, and many other options. You can also adjust the size of the main components according to your specific needs.
- Fun – Building a solar generator can be a very fun and rewarding project. Not only will you have a very useful tool when you’re done, but you’ll also understand how it works and be able to fix it in the future should the need arise.
Emergency backup power and sustainable living – all in one.
Portable solar generators are a great way to provide backup power if the grid fails or if you need some extra power during camping, tailgates, or disaster preparations. They’re also great for people who want to reduce their dependence on fossil fuels and live a more sustainable lifestyle.
Don’t know where to start? SOUOP is here to help. Visit our website today to see all the different portable solar generators we offer.
What solar generator topics did we miss?
This article may not cover related issues, some content we will explain in other articles, if you have any questions that I have not covered, please let me know in the comments below, or send me an email, I will try my best to answer them, and plan to have more articles on this topic in the future. You can also use the search function on our website to search for everything you want to know, thank you!